The Best Vietnamese Vegan Dishes Worth A Try
Vegetarians, rejoice! If you're planning a trip to Vietnam, you're in for a treat. Vietnam is like a paradise for food lovers where they can find various superb dishes: Bun Cha, Banh Mi, or Pho. Not only that, it's a haven for those who follow a plant-based diet. This guide to the best Vietnamese vegetarian dishes will help you prepare for an unforgettable culinary adventure in one of Southeast Asia's most vibrant and diverse countries.
- A Guide To Vietnam Vegetarian Food: 5 Must-Try Dishes
- The Most Well-known Vegetarian Restaurants in Vietnam
A Guide To Vietnam Vegetarian Food: 5 Must-Try Dishes
Vietnamese food varies from the rich and hearty flavors of the north to the light and refreshing dishes of the south. When it comes to Vietnamese cuisine, there's no shortage of yummy food for every taste bud. While each city has its signature dish, some universally beloved Vietnamese staples can be found in every corner of Vietnam, such as pho noodle soup, crunchy banh mi, and rice paper rolls. All these dishes can be enjoyed in vegetarian versions, with meat replaced by tofu, mushrooms, and other plant-based ingredients. Let’s take a glimpse of the top 5 must-try dishes to experience Vietnam vegetarian food!
Vietnam vegetarian food
Vegetarian Banh Mi (Banh Mi Chay)
Among the best Vietnam vegetarian foods, vegan bread (Banh mi chay) is on top of the list, which is the perfect choice for a frugal breakfast but is still full of nutrients. The vegan banh mi is typically made with a crispy baguette filled with marinated tofu, pickled carrots, daikon radish, cucumber, cilantro, and chili sauce, giving it a unique and zesty flavor.
Vegetarian Pho (Pho Chay)
If tourists are asked about which food they like most in Vietnam, probably most of them will mention Pho. Pho is made with all the good stuff: broth made from beef (or chicken) bones and meat, thin noodles, and various herbs. Pho chay is a vegetarian version of this traditional Vietnamese noodle soup that best suits vegetarians. This vegan soup is made with a clear vegetable broth (typically daikon, carrot, onion, or corn) flavored with a combination of spices and herbs, including star anise, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. The soup is then served with flat rice noodles, tofu or soy protein, and many fresh vegetables such as bean sprouts, herbs, and scallions. The dish is usually accompanied by a plate of fresh lime wedges and some chili peppers, allowing diners to customize the soup's flavor to their liking. Pho chay is a delicious Vietnamese vegetarian dish for vegetarians or anyone looking to try a meat-free version of this classic Vietnamese comfort food.
Vegan pho is a delicious Vietnamese vegetarian dish
Fresh Vegetarian Spring Rolls (Goi Cuon Chay)
Fresh vegetarian spring rolls (or goi cuon chay) are a popular Vietnamese dish enjoyed as a snack and a meal. These fresh spring rolls are tightly wrapped with rice paper wrappers and filled with fresh and flavorful vegetables, such as lettuce, carrot, cucumber, and bean sprouts, and herbs like cilantro and mint. In addition to vegetables, goi cuon chay can also include rice vermicelli noodles, tofu or tempeh, and sometimes a hint of spicy chili sauce for added flavor. There is no specific method to make vegan spring rolls so you can make this food with all your ingredients.
What makes vegetarian spring rolls such a beloved vegetarian food in Vietnam is their taste and nutritional value. Fresh, raw vegetables are packed with vitamins and minerals essential for a healthy diet. They are also low in calories, making them an excellent option for those watching their weight. These spring rolls are meant to be served with peanut sauce!
Braised Tofu In Tomato Sauce (Dau sot ca chua chay)
Braised tofu in tomato sauce (or dau hu sot ca chua) is a flavorful dish that is popular in vegan meals in Vietnam. The dish consists of chunks of tofu that are first fried until crispy on the outside, then simmered in a rich tomato-based sauce.
Its versatility makes braised tofu in tomato sauce such a popular Vietnam vegan dish. It can be served as a main course with rice or noodles or as a side dish to complement other dishes. People often combine braised tofu in tomato sauce with fresh vegetables such as lettuce or cilantro to harmonize its flavor. Additionally, it's a great source of protein for vegetarians and vegans, with tofu being a staple ingredient in many meatless diets. For those who love bold flavors and crave a hearty and satisfying meal, braised tofu in tomato sauce is a must-try dish in Vietnam.
Braised tofu in tomato sauce (or dau hu sot ca chua) is a flavorful dish in vegan meals
Vietnamese Vegan Pancake (Banh xeo chay)
Vietnamese Vegan Pancake (Banh xeo chay) is a popular vegetarian version of the traditional Vietnamese dish known as Banh xeo. To prepare banh xeo chay, the rice flour batter is poured onto a hot griddle and allowed to cook until it becomes crispy on the edges. The crust is made of rice flour mixed with coconut water with sweet fat. Meanwhile, green beans, tofu, bean sprouts, mushrooms, and chopped cassava roots are the principal ingredients of the filling. Vietnamese Vegan Pancake’s flavor cannot be perfect with a side of lettuce, herbs, and a dipping sauce made with soy sauce, vinegar, and chili. The result is a crispy, flavorful, and satisfying meal that is a favorite of vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. This dish is undoubtedly an excellent example of how Vietnamese cuisine can be adapted to meet the needs and preferences of different diets.
If you are interested in Vietnamese cuisine, you can explore the diversity of Vietnamese dishes and find some famous dishes in the country.
Vietnamese Vegan Pancake (Banh xeo chay) is a popular vegan dish in Vietnam
The Most Well-known Vegetarian Restaurants in Vietnam
Vegetarians traveling to Vietnam should be reassured about where to eat because there are numerous options for vegetarians to enjoy throughout Vietnam. Vietnam vegetarian dishes are impressive not only for their diversity but also for their excellent flavor.
In Hanoi, visitors can enjoy an elegant dining experience at Uu Dam Chay or a peaceful meal at Aummee. In Hoi An, Karma Waters, Am Vegetarian, and Annen Hoi An offer delicious vegetarian fare. Hue is home to Organic An Lac which should not be missed. In Ho Chi Minh City, Vi Que Kitchen is a standout option among the best Vietnam vegetarian restaurants, offering a wide variety of vegetarian dishes that feature mushrooms as the main ingredient, along with other delicious plant-based flavors. The restaurant's dishes showcase classic Vietnamese flavors in a new and exciting way, making it a must-visit spot for anyone looking to experience the best of vegetarian cuisine in HCM City. Another excellent option is Organik Kitchen Saigon, which is known for its creative pizzas that feature housemade nut cheeses as a key ingredient.
Vietnam, boasting of its stunning landscapes, diverse culture, and various superb dishes, will be a worth-visiting destination for your upcoming trip. Let’s check out the best time to visit Vietnam and enjoy a fun-filled holiday with your beloved. Don’t forget to apply for a Vietnam visa online to be well-prepared for your Vietnam journey.
- Explore Top Adventure Travel Activities In Vietnam
- The Best Vietnamese Vegan Dishes Worth A Try
- 8 Best Things To Do In Vietnam For An Unforgettable Trip
- Ride Through Vietnam's Adventures on a Motorbike
- Off The Beaten Path Trekking Destinations in Vietnam
- Reunification Day in Vietnam - Honoring Heroes and Celebrating Unity
- How Regional Diversity Shapes The Vietnamese Cuisine Flavors
- Vietnamese Water Puppetry: An Ancient Tradition In A Modern World
- Uncovering Vietnam's Popular Cultural Landmarks:Let's Check!
- Tourism Destinations Must Go In North Area, Vietnam
- Southern Vietnam - Top-rated Attractions Not To Miss
- Top Vietnamese Traditional Food On Tet Holiday That You Should Try
- Top Vietnamese Festivals Travelers Add On The Bucket List
- Exploring The Diversity Of Vietnamese Dishes
- Check Out The Best Time To Visit Vietnam
- Weather In Vietnam In December: Ideal Conditions For Adventure And Relaxation
- Everything Relating To Vietnam Lunar New Year Traditions
- Lunar New Year Festival - What To Know About Tet Holiday?
- Vietnamese cuisine discovery: Get a tour of the best restaurants in Vietnam
- Vaccine Passport: New Vietnam Travel Restrictions With Covid-19
- A comprehensive guide to the best Vietnam beaches
- Ao Dai - The Hidden Beauty In Traditional Vietnamese Dress
- Vietnam Introduce Vietnam Travel Visa For Taiwanese
- Travel To Vietnam: The Ultimate Guide
- Little Known "Secrets" About Famous Places To Visit In Vietnam
- International Women’s Day
- Love Is In The Air
- Experience Tet Celebrations in Vietnam Like a Local 2020
- Wrap the old year with a bow - Start a new one with a bang
- Shocking sale on Black Friday
- Join us if you dare for a halloween scare
- Wonderful beaches in Southeast Asia
- Southeast Asia - A Wonderful Journey
- 35% Off E-Visas For You And Your Friends! Let's Travel
- PACK YOUR BACK BECAUSE SUMMER IS BACK!
- May the lovely festival of Easter brings you lots of joy, love and happiness.
- Happy Women’s Day - We are stronger together!
- Chinese new year: a blessing for everyone!
- Make Yourself Comfortable With This Amazing Gift
- Check out Our Mysterious Gift in this Halloween now
- HOTTEST DISCOUNT to celebrate the BIGGEST HOLIDAY!
- 20% off for making eVisa! Let's energize yourself now!
- This web browser will upgrade to TLS 1.1
- Hot! 20% off for Visa to Vietnam beaches! Find out now!
- Foreign tourists happy with Vietnam’s visa exemption policy
- Summer 2018 hot deal of eVISA
- Best Things to Do in Vietnam (Part 1)
- Quench Your Thirst with These 9 Must-Try Vietnamese Drinks – Part 2!
- April Deals of Vietnam Visa – 25% OFF
- 9 Must-Try Vietnamese Drinks – Part 1
- Special Offer on Women’s Day!
- Sweet Promotion for Valentine’s Day only
- Apply Visa with cheap price in 2018
- BEST DEAL for 2017 holiday trip
- Big SALE on Black Friday – 17 Nov, 2017
- Great Discount for Halloween – Oct 31, 2017
- Vietnam celebrates the National Day - Sep 02, 2017
- One-year multiple Vietnam visa for US citizens
- Five countries in Europe happy to enjoy Vietnam visa exemption
- Top 10 best souvenirs from Vietnam
- Vietnam Topography
- Religions in Vietnam
- Climate in Vietnam
- The Timeless Charm of Vietnamese Traditional Instruments
- Food in the Central
- Food in the South
- Food in the North
- Vietnam Festivals in 2015
- Vietnamese Traditional Costumes
- 10 Top Tourist Attractions in Vietnam
- Vietnam Public Holidays in 2015